Saturday, February 8, 2014

Revised Reading Response

       In the book "Beautiful Creatures" by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, the main character Ethan Wate experiences the unimaginable and changes internally. In the small town of Gatlin where days move slow and the southern women have nothing else better to do but gossip, Lena Duchannes moves into town with her uncle. But she stirs things up since she's a caster and a lot of the cheerleaders begin to really hate her. Soon she and Ethan fall in love and now Ethan faces their worst nightmare, Lena's sixteenth birthday. When she must be claimed light or dark. Together they battle unpredictable issues and experience growth.
     At first, Ethan is this teenager who had recently lost his mother and desperately wants to leave Gaitlin. He wasn't much of a risk taker and preferred to hang low. But when Lena arrive he's sure that she is the girl that he had been dreaming of for months. Soon he evolves into this new person that defends Lena, fights back, and speaks up for himself. Though sometimes he flashes back to the sheltered coward he still remains headstrong.
     I could relate to Ethan because I don't really stand up for myself but when i do,I say what is on my mind. Even though I don't have visions of previous casters or get followed by dogs that used to be humans, but things do get hectic time to time. I can also relate to Lena because things in her life are beyond of her control. For example when her mother Sarafine(Dark Caster) attacks her uncle and kills him, she couldn't use any of her magic to save him. Another example is when her cousin Ridley(Siren) uses Ethan's energy to ruin a High Holiday and nearly killed him.
     I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment